I’m trying to deploy this django project on Amazon Lightsail… The project has some dependencies such as requests lib which hits a url/api to an external host.
I’m facing a wired problem… I’ve set up the VPS with Apache2 server and python packages… when I’m trying to ping to an external host… It’s not responding… freezes as shown in the below picture :
The weird thing is it is able to ping popular sites such as Google, Microsoft, Apple, Yahoo, etc etc. but one of my api is hosted on Epsumlabs Server… So I needed to make a request to the api via the requests lib… But the code crashes with an exception of Request timeout.
To diagnose further, I tried to ping the epsumlabs host… Wasn’t able to ping. Tried with another less popular host, unable to ping, tried to ping another lightsail instance… Failed there as well.
Tried to traceroute and found the following :
That just flew over my head. Its not finding the way to the host. Datapackets are lost in the mid way…
Note that I already added the rules in the lightsail console to allow all TCP communications. Turned “ufw” down ., still no luck…
Another weird thing is . when I create a VPS using Bitnami image (LAMPP STACK) the ping works like a charm… I’m using the base ubuntu image with no apps, and it isn’t working… I don’t know if I’m missing to add or remove some security or firewall rules. I tried every known steps to me… luck doesn’t favor.
I’m able to access hosted web sites on the VPS but unable to ping the host even from my computer’s terminal, I don’t know what’s going wrong…
- Requests lib isn’t working
- Unable to ping to the VPS
- Unable to ping to other hosts through the VPS except some selected hosts (Looks like as if they are handpicking the hosts :-P )
Diagnosis done till now:
- Ping does not work
- Tracerouting … (wasn’t that helpful for me.)
- All TCP communications are allowed in the firewall
- Amazon lightsail Instance
- Base Ubuntu 16.04 installed
- VPS is in “Virginia (us-east-1)” zone
- Attached with a static IP ( 126.96.36.199)
- Apache2 and Nginx server running… (I think this doesn’t relate to the problem)
Robert Lancer Steven Reubenstone Ranjan Dailata Harsha Alva @community
If you have any idea please help me sorting out the problem… This is a very important part of my learning setting up a VPS and diagnosing the issues…
#vps #servers #ubuntu #networking #fails #fail